Dr. Armant presents lectures to Year 1 medical students in the Human Embryology course on fertilization, early embryonic development and the placenta. He also teaches graduate courses offered through the Graduate Program Concentration in the Reproductive Sciences, including lectures in courses on Stem Cell Biology and Reproductive Biology. He is co-director of Stem Cell Biology (PSL 7700).
His research is in mammalian embryology, focusing on peri-implantation development and placentation. More information is available at his laboratory website.
Awards & Honors
- 1994, Tenure, Wayne State University School of Medicine
- 1998 James A. Shannon Director's Award, National Institutes of Health
- 2008 Wyeth President's Presenter Awardee Mentor, Society for Gynecologic Investigation
- 2008 President's Research Enhancement Award, Wayne State University
- 2010 NIH Award of Merit, NICHD, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD
- 2014 Pfizer President’s Presenter Awardee Mentor, Society for Gynecologic Investigation
- 2015 Investigator Achievement Awardee Mentor, American Society for Reproductive Medicine for best paper of the year published in Fertility and Sterility by a medical fellow
Ph.D., Zoology, Virginia Tech, 1980
- Jain CV, Jessmon P, Barrak CT, Bolnik AD, Kilburn BA, Hertz M, Armant DR. (2017) Trophoblast survival signaling during human placentation requires HSP70 activation of MMP2-mediated HBEGF shedding. Cell Death and DIfferentiation, In Press.
- Drewlo S, Armant DR. (2017) Quo vadis, trophoblast? Exploring the new ways of an old lineage. Placenta. In Press.
Bolnick, A.D., Bolnick, J.M., Kohan-Ghadr, H.R., Kilburn, B.A., Pasalodos, O.J., Singhal, P.K., Dai, J., Diamond, M.P., Armant, D.R. and Drewlo, S. (2017) Enhancement of trophoblast differentiation and survival by low molecular weight heparin requires heparin-binding EGF-like growth factor. Human Reproduction, In Press.
- Jain CV, Kadam L, van Dijk M, Kohan-Ghadr HR, Kilburn BA, Hartman C, Mazzorana V, Visser A, Hertz M, Bolnick AD, Fritz R, Armant DR, Drewlo S. (2016) Fetal genome profiling at five weeks of gestation after noninvasive isolation of trophoblast cells from the endocervical canal. Science Translational Medicine, 8:363re4.
- Bolnick JM, Kohan-Ghadr HR, Fritz R, Bolnick AD, Kilburn BA, Diamond MP, Armant DR, Drewlo S. (2016) Altered biomarkers in trophoblast cells obtained noninvasively prior to clinical manifestation of perinatal disease. Scientific Reports, 6:32382.
Jain CV, Jessmon P, Kilburn BA, Jodar M, Sendler E, Krawetz SA, Armant DR. (2016) Regulation of HBEGF by micro-RNA for survival of developing human trophoblast cells. PLoS ONE, 11:e0163913.
- Bolnick AD, Bolnick JM, Kilburn BA, Stewart T, Oakes J, Rodriguez-Kovacs J, Kohan-Ghadr HR, Dai J, Diamond MP, Hirota Y, Drewlo S, Dey SK, Armant DR. (2016) Reduced MSX1 in human endometrial tissue is linked to infertility. Human Reproduction. 31:2042-2050.
Fritz R, Kohan-Ghadr HR, Bolnick JM, Bolnick AD, Kilburn BA, Diamond MP, Drewlo S, Armant DR. (2015) Noninvasive Detection of trophoblast protein signatures linked to early pregnancy loss using trophoblast retrieval and isolation from the cervix (TRIC). Fertility and Sterility. 104:339-346.e4 .
- Fritz R, Kohan-Ghadr HR, Sacher A, Bolnick AD, Kilburn BA, Bolnick JM, Diamond MP, Drewlo S, Armant DR. (2015) Trophoblast retrieval and isolation from the cervix (TRIC) is unaffected by early gestational age or maternal obesity. Prenatal Diagnosis. 35:1218-1222.
- Bolnick JM, Kilburn BA, Bolnick AD, Diamond MP, Singh M, Dai J, Armant DR. (2015) Sildenafil stimulates human trophoblast invasion through nitric oxide and guanosine 3',5'-cyclic monophosphate signaling. Fertility and Sterility. 103:1587-1595.
Armant DR, Fritz RB, Kilburn BA, Kim YM, Nien JK, Maihle NJ, Romero R, Leach RE. (2015) Reduced Expression of the Epidermal Growth Factor Signaling System in Preeclampsia. Placenta. 36:270-278.
Bolnick JM, Kilburn B, Bajpayee S, Reddy N, Jeelani R, Crone B, Simmerman N, Singh M, Diamond MP, Armant DR. (2014) Trophoblast Retrieval and Isolation from the Cervix (TRIC) for Non-Invasive Prenatal Screening at 5-20 Weeks of Gestation. Fertility and Sterility. 102:135-142.e6.
- Fritz R, Jain C, Armant DR. (2014) Cell signaling in trophoblast uterine communication. International Journal of Developmental Biology. 58:261-271.
- Zhang S, Lin H, Kong S, Wang S, Wang H, Wang H, Armant DR. (2013) Physiological and molecular determinants of embryo implantation. Molecular Aspects of Medicine. 34:939-980.
- Chason RJ, Csokmay J, Segars JH, DeCherney AH, Armant DR. (2011) Environmental and epigenetic impact on preimplantation embryo metabolism and development. [Review] Trends in Endocrinology and Metabolism. 22:412-420.
- Jessmon P, Kilburn BA, Romero R, Leach RE, Armant DR. (2010) Function specific intracellular signaling pathways downstream of heparin binding EGF-like growth factor utilized by human trophoblasts. Biology of Reproduction, 82:921-929.