Position TitleAssociate Professor
Office Phone(313) 577-1529
Dr. Ireland has taught human gross anatomy at the WSU School of Medicine since 1986. He was the course director from 2001-2015 and continues on as the Laboratory Co-Director. Dr. Ireland also oversees 4th year student teaching in the gross anatomy lab. During the summer, he assists in directing the efforts of 2nd year medical students preparing anatomical specimens for use by incoming medical students and helps in the laboratory instruction of post-baccalaureate students. In addition, he has organized numerous teaching components of CME accredited activities in regional anesthesiology and echocardiography. During his research career, Dr. Ireland has been funded by the NIH and various local funding agencies. He has published 45 peer-reviewed articles mainly examining the cell biology of vertebrate lens development and the maintenance of lens clarity.
Research Educator, PhD, Gross Anatomy
Awards & Honors
- Board of Governors Scholarship 1967-1969, Wayne State University
- Equal Opportunity Grant 1972-1973, Wayne State University
- ARVO Travel Fellowship from National Eye Institute, 1984
- International Travel Grant from Wayne State University to attend IX International Congress of Eye Research as invited speaker, Helsinki, Finland, 1990
- Career Development Chair, Wayne State University, 1994
- College Teaching Award, Wayne State University School of Medicine, 1997
- College Teaching Award, Wayne State University School of Medicine, 2000
- College Teaching Award, Wayne State University School of Medicine, 2007
- College Teaching Award, Wayne State University School of Medicine, 2010
- Fellow, Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology, 2011
- Member, Anthony Wayne Society, 2014
- 1982- 1983 Post doctoral Research Associate, Department of Anatomy, Wayne State University
- 1983- 1986 Post doctoral Research Associate, Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of Michigan
- R. Dahm, J.E. Procter, M.E. Ireland, W-K. Lo, M.M. Mogensen, R.A. Quinlan, A.R. Prescott. Reorganisation of centrosomal marker proteins coincides with epithelial cell differentiation in the vertebrate lens. Exptl. Eye Res.: 696-713, 2007.
- M.E. Ireland. Activated epidermal growth factor receptors in the adult human lens. Exptl. Eye Res. 80: 443-445, 2005.
- M.E. Ireland and L.K. Mrock. Expression and activation of the epidermal growth factor receptor in differentiating cells of the developing and post-hatching chicken lens. Exptl. Eye Res. 79: 305-312, 2004.
- F. Chen, L.K. Mrock and M.E. Ireland. A role for endogenous TGF and associated signaling pathways in the differentiation of lens fiber cells. J. Cellular Physiol. 186: 288-297, 2001.
- M.E. Ireland and L.K. Mrock. Differentiation of chick lens epithelial cells: involvement of the epidermal growth factor receptor and endogenous ligand. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 41: 183-190, 2000