Position TitleAssistant Professor
I joined the faculty at Wayne State University in 2009. My research focuses on retinal development and regeneration in zebrafish. Zebrafish is an attractive model to study neurodegenerative diseases due to its incredible ability to regenerate neuronal tissues. In particular, we are focused on better understanding the molecular mechanisms that underlie retinal regeneration in the adult zebrafish.
I participate in the teaching of Medical Histology and Medical Embryology to first year medical students. I find teaching and mentoring students very rewarding, especially training young scientists in the laboratory. If you are interested in joining the lab, please send me an email.
If you are interested in learning more about our research, please visit our lab website.
Research Educator, Full time, PhD, Histology and Cell Biology, Embryology
Awards & Honors
- 2017 - Invited speaker, 7th Strategic Conference of Zebrafish Investigators, Asilomar Conference Grounds, CA
- 2016-2017 - Our childhood leukemia research project, sponsored by Kids Without Cancer and the Children’s Hospital of Michigan Foundation, was featured in over 25 local, national, and international media outlets, including the Detroit Free Press, USA Today, The Chicago Tribune, and the Washington Post
- Free Press (12/25/16)
- USA Today (12/27/16)
- The Chicago Tribune (12/28/16)
- Washington Post (12/30/16)
- 2016 - Wayne State University College Teaching Award
- 2016 - Invited speaker, Gordon Research Conference on Vision System Development
- 2013 - First place award, 2013 Image Contest for Aquaneering, Inc.
- 2013 - Invited speaker, 5th Strategic Conference of Zebrafish Investigators, Asilomar Conference Grounds, CA
- 2008 - Data presented in manuscript selected for cover image of journal. Dev. Neurobiol. (2008) 68 (3):392-408
- 2008 - Finalist, Outstanding Poster Presentation by a Postdoc, The 8th International Conference of Zebrafish Development and Genetics, University of Wisconsin
- 2006 - Finalist, Outstanding Poster Presentation by a Postdoc, The 7th International Conference on Zebrafish Development and Genetics, University of Wisconsin